Monday, November 30, 2009

U

I'm back on the U of U medical campus, but this time it's not for Samuel. I'm currently sitting in a second year medical school class learning about angina pectoris. I've already had one interview this morning at 8:30, and I'll be having another this afternoon at 1:30.

I've wanted to go to the U of U medical school since I decided to be a doctor. Everything I've done to prepare to be a physician was based on the high requirements of the U of U admissions committee. I've worked in a nursing home, volunteered at the hospital, shadowed physicians, worked as a writing fellow, mentored abuse victims and spent way too many hours studying for classes I didn't care about because I need to have good grades. And it all comes down to today. Based on the scores I get in my interview, my packet will move on to the selection committee, who will debate my acceptance and give me the stamp of death or propel me into the magical world of medicine. No pressure, right?

Although I've always wanted to go to the U, I can't say I've ever really had much confidence or hope that I'd get in. I'm a white Mormon male from BYU, a demographic not super high on the admissions committee's priority list. Now that I'm here and I've seen the gorgeous campus and beautiful facilities, I'm praying for a miracle.

4 comments:

  1. Lauren beat me to it, but I'm praying too. And then I'll come to the U for my PhD in a year or so and we'll take over their campus.

    Love you, Brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve that miracle. That would be the absolute coolest if you and Sarah could be there at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. I don't think you'll need it, but good luck anyway. Go Utes.

    ReplyDelete