Sunday, January 17, 2010

Yoghurt

On Wednesday we went to the Springville art museum. It was my first time and I loved it, especially the Russian collection. When we got back from the museum we met up with Alpha to make yoghurt. That’s right, we made yoghurt. She brought over a quart of milk and a packet of freeze-dried bacteria starter. We boiled the crap out of the milk, and tried forever to get it to 185 degrees, but I don’t think we broke 170. Then we put the pot in a sink of cold water and cooled it down to 110 degrees. At this temperature we added the bacteria and threw the pot in our oven to keep it warm. We let the bacteria incubate for four hours, and when we pulled it out of the oven we were greeted by the familiar aroma of culinary bacteria. The partially digested dairy goo had a tangy taste, and looked and tasted and smelled like yoghurt. But the texture was off. It was chunky and liquidy and didn’t give me that smooth pudding sensation that I love about yoghurt. I guess that’s what you get from the manufactured fake stuff. I tried adding blackberry freezer jam, which gave it a nice flavor, and a big dollop of honey. I recommend the honey. Ashton absolutely loved the yogurt, which surprised me, I'm not going to lie.

1 comment:

  1. surprised? What? Why me? I love yaort! You're the one that outlawed it, silly billy danza-nilly.

    ReplyDelete